The data presented in this section comes from the surveys that were passed out to residences and businesses within Blaine-Southeast. We received 40 surveys from community members and used the data to create the following charts and graphs as a representation and analysis of these results. A few questions allowed for multiple answers to be recorded, so their respective charts and graphs are based on the total number of responses, rather than the number of surveys returned.
The pie chart in Figure 1 represents the total amount of surveys received and the percentage of those received from each area of Blaine-Southeast. The majority of surveys returned came from Area 3, and comprised 35% of the total feedback. Area 4 returned the second most surveys with 25% of the feedback.
Figure 2 represents the number of years residents have lived in the Blaine and Southeast Neighborhoods based on the surveys we collected. The data shows that 28% of the residents have lived in the neighborhood for 11-20 years. The data also shows that only 3% of the residents have lived in the neighborhood less than a year, showing that when people move to the neighborhood they tend to stay. Based on all the surveys returned, the average amount of total years lived is 28.25 years.
Figure 3 represents the percentages of those residents who rent and those who own their homes. The data shows that 92% own their home and 8% rent their homes.
Figure 4 represents how well Blaine-Southeast residents know their neighbors. The data shows that a majority of the residents know most of their neighbors, at 38%, or a few of their neighbors, at 37%. It also shows that only 3% of the residents know all of their neighbors, which is something that the Neighborhood Action Plan can help address.
Figure 5 represents the different levels of safety that residents feel while living in Blaine-Southeast. The data shows that more than half of the residents feel moderately safe living in the community, while only 23% feel very safe. The data also shows that those who feel extremely safe or not safe at all each comprise 5% of the population. The Blaine-Southeast Neighborhood Action Plan aims to shift these percentages so that the residents have the opportunity to get to know either all or most of their neighbors.
Figure 6 represents the different kinds of occupations that the residents who responded to the survey have. The data shows that 44% of the respondents were retired. The next highest percentage is the “Other” category at 22%. The “Other” category includes occupations like Hairdressing, Military, Clinical Secretary, Welding/Fabrication, Tree Trimming, Car Detailing, Railroad, Volunteering, and those who are self-employed.
Figure 7 displays the various improvements the residents would like to see implemented in Blaine and Southeast. The data shows that a majority of the residents (19%) would like to see sidewalk improvements, followed by streets, vacant homes & lots, housing conditions and lighting with 16%, 14% and 11% respectively.
Figure 8 shows the results from asking residents if they enjoyed living in Blaine-Southeast. The data shows that 92% of the respondents enjoy living in Blaine-Southeast, and the remaining 8% said they do not.
Figure 9 represents the percentage of residents who feel that their daily needs are met within the Blaine-Southeast Neighborhoods. These daily needs refer to the access residents may or may not have to resources such as grocery stores, home maintenance, lawn care, childcare centers, etc. The data shows that 65% said yes, 30% said no and 5% left this question unanswered.
Figure 10 represents the different ways people travel throughout the city. The data shows that 50% of the respondents travel by personal car, motorcycle, or moped and another 23% travel by walking. The data also shows that BSE is a car dependent neighborhood, which makes keeping the public infrastructure in good standards all the more important.
Figure 11 represents the opinions of the residents on whether or not Blaine-Southeast is heading in the right direction. The data shows that there is a split between yes and no, with 47% who believe it is and 45% who do not, as well as 3% who are unsure. The last 5% left the question unanswered. The Blaine-Southeast Neighborhood Action Plan aims to help residents feel more confident that the community is heading in a positive direction.